All About Depression
-- Updated January 10, 2015 --
Welcome to Our All About Depression Page!
This page is an important part of DearShrink.com. DearShrink is an Internet Mental Health Center hosted by Ron Sterling, M.D., a General and Geriatric Psychiatrist who also specializes in psychotherapy and relationship and family therapy.
Dr. Sterling's Articles Related to Depression.
On this page, you will find links to articles written by Dr. Sterling and to other resources for understanding depression.
Yes, Dr. Sterling has been called the "Dear Abby" of Internet psychiatry, but that doesn't mean he is just older and wiser; he is also caring and funny.
We invite you to tour this page of links to mental health advice articles and links and to explore the rest of the DearShrink site. DearShrink is filled with information, answers to questions, and rapid ways for obtaining services from Dr. Sterling in person and/or by phone or by e-mail.
To find out What is New at DearShrink, go to our What's New page. To get an index of pages available at DearShrink, go to our Site Index page.
Dr. Sterling offers the following Web sites and Web pages on which he has posted answers to reader questions that relate to depression.
The Neurobiology of Depression.
- October 2002 - The "D" Word -- In this first edition of Mind Matters, Dr. Sterling responds to a reader question about her mother's depression and talks about the difficulties us senior folks often have with speaking about or seeking help for depression.
- November 2002 - It's All About the Hippocampus! -- Dr. Sterling answers a reader question about the relationship between physical exercise and depression. Does exercise help?
- March 2003 - Resolving Regrets -- Dr. Sterling answers a reader question about how to deal with unresolved emotional issues after the death of a close family member.
- November 2003 - Depression and Antidepressants -- Dr. Sterling answers questions about clinical depression and antidepressants.
- February 2004 - The "S" Word -- Dr. Sterling answers a question from a reader asking about depression and suicide in older people.
- July 2004 - Life After Loss -- Dr. Sterling answers a reader's question about grief, mourning, and life after experiencing a significant loss.
- September 2004 - The Power of Programming -- Dr. Sterling answers a reader's question about happiness and depression and discusses some of the psychological issues related to depression.
- November 2004 - Complicated Grief -- Dr. Sterling answers a reader's question about a father's very difficult recovery from his son's death and whether an antidepressant medication is appropriate for him.
- August 2005 - Depression and Your Heart -- Dr. Sterling writes about how depression affects our heart.
- June 2006 - Psychotherapy vs. Medication -- Dr. Sterling answers the question "what is better for mild depression, psychotherapy or medication?"
- April 2007 - Depression Kills -- Dr. Sterling discusses a recent research study about depression among older adults in the United Kingdom.
- May 2007 - How Does Depression Kill? -- Dr. Sterling discusses several of the ways that depression shortens lives and contributes to increased illness.
- June 2007 - Yellow, Pink and Blue People -- Dr. Sterling answers a question from a reader who wonders why some people handle stress better than others.
Please visit the following Web site hosted by Dr. Sterling if you wish to learn more about how stress produces depression and what factors are involved in making one person more vulnerable to depression than another.
Submit Questions About Mental Health, Psychiatry and Psychotherapy?
Looking for Mental Health Care Links?
- Go to our Health Links Page page to view a list of mental health Web site links.
- Go to our General Links Page to view a large list of links organized around National Health Observances. May is always Mental Health Awareness Month.
- Go to our Medication Information Page to view a list of links to Web sites devoted to information about medications, including continuous-feed scientific information on medications and medication advocacy organizations.
- Go to our Support Resources Page to view a list of links to local and national support and advocacy organizations.
Would You Like to Schedule an Appointment With Dr. Sterling?
- Office Appointments are Available. Dr. Sterling has appointments available at his Bellevue Office. Feel free to call Dr. Sterling at 206-784-7842. You will often reach him directly.
Would You Like Online or Telephone Support and Counseling?
- Online and Telephone Counseling is Available. Dr. Sterling offers e-mail and telephone counseling for your personal growth, relationship, and mental health concerns and questions. Check the Online Help page to read more about Dr. Sterling's online and telephone services and how to purchase them.
- Dr. Sterling Has 40 Years of Medical and Counseling Experience. Dr. Sterling has been around, but that doesn't make him just older and wiser. He works hard at staying informed. He works hard on his own personal growth. He enjoys challenges and making contributions to his community. This attitude combined with his training allows him to be a caring healthcare provider and advisor with a sense of perspective, humor, and commitment to his clients. For more information about Dr. Sterling and his mission, please go to his Biography Page.
Thank You for Stopping By!
-- Best wishes, Dr. Sterling
[ Home ] [ What's New ] [
Site Index ] [ Mission ] [ Our Services ] [ Dr. Sterling's Biography ]
[ Adult Attention Deficit Disorder ] [ Geriatric Psychiatry ] [ Online Therapy ] [ Advice ] [ Wellness ]
[ Shrink Watch ] [ Drug Watch ] [ Media Watch ] [ Law Watch ] [ Support ] [ Activism ]
[ Humor ] [ Health Care Links ] [ General Links ] [ Reviews ]
[ Legal Notices ] [ Privacy ] [ Contact Us ]
[ Politics ] [ Style ]
Send E-Mail to Dr. Sterling
Copyright 2000-2015. Ron Sterling, M.D.
All Rights Reserved.
Conflicts of Interest Disclosure Statement