All About Depression
-- Content Last Updated January 10, 2015 --
Notices and Links Updated December 31, 2020
Welcome to Our All About Depression Page!
This page was an important part of DearShrink.com. DearShrink was an Internet Mental Health Center hosted by Ron Sterling, M.D., a solo practitioner psychiatrist who regularly maintained this site from 2000 to 2010. Since 2010, his time and efforts have been almost entirely dedicated to reading primary literature and reporting his findings about what we currently call ADHD. Click on the Adult ADD button in the menu to read more.
Dr. Sterling's Articles Related to Depression.
On this page, you will find links to articles written by Dr. Sterling and to other resources for understanding depression. DearShrink.com is in the process of being downsized and will no longer be updated. Relevant parts of the DearShrink.com site are being kept in place for historical and portfolio use.
Dr. Sterling has been called the "Dear Abby" of Internet psychiatry, but that doesn't mean he was or is just older and wiser; he is also funny.
Dr. Sterling offers the following Web sites and Web pages on which he has posted answers to reader questions that relate to depression.
The Neurobiology of Depression.
- October 2002 - The "D" Word -- In this first edition of Mind Matters, Dr. Sterling responds to a reader question about her mother's depression and talks about the difficulties us senior folks often have with speaking about or seeking help for depression.
- November 2002 - It's All About the Hippocampus! -- Dr. Sterling answers a reader question about the relationship between physical exercise and depression. Does exercise help?
- March 2003 - Resolving Regrets -- Dr. Sterling answers a reader question about how to deal with unresolved emotional issues after the death of a close family member.
- November 2003 - Depression and Antidepressants -- Dr. Sterling answers questions about clinical depression and antidepressants.
- February 2004 - The "S" Word -- Dr. Sterling answers a question from a reader asking about depression and suicide in older people.
- July 2004 - Life After Loss -- Dr. Sterling answers a reader's question about grief, mourning, and life after experiencing a significant loss.
- September 2004 - The Power of Programming -- Dr. Sterling answers a reader's question about happiness and depression and discusses some of the psychological issues related to depression.
- November 2004 - Complicated Grief -- Dr. Sterling answers a reader's question about a father's very difficult recovery from his son's death and whether an antidepressant medication is appropriate for him.
- August 2005 - Depression and Your Heart -- Dr. Sterling writes about how depression affects our heart.
- June 2006 - Psychotherapy vs. Medication -- Dr. Sterling answers the question "what is better for mild depression, psychotherapy or medication?"
- April 2007 - Depression Kills -- Dr. Sterling discusses a recent research study about depression among older adults in the United Kingdom.
- May 2007 - How Does Depression Kill? -- Dr. Sterling discusses several of the ways that depression shortens lives and contributes to increased illness.
- June 2007 - Yellow, Pink and Blue People -- Dr. Sterling answers a question from a reader who wonders why some people handle stress better than others.
Please visit the following Web site hosted by Dr. Sterling if you wish to learn more about how stress produces depression and what factors are involved in making one person more vulnerable to depression than another.
Thank You for Stopping By!
-- Best wishes, Dr. Sterling
Psychiatry Practice is Closed Effective February 28, 2021
Fine Photography Art Gallery is Opened Effective January 1, 2021
Gallery Viewing is by Appointment Only During the Pandemic
19655 1st Ave. S, Ste 204
Normandy Park, WA 98148
eMail: ron at photoventuresgallery dot com
Copyright 2000-2020. Ron Sterling, M.D.
All Rights Reserved.