"The Civil Rights Movement of this decade is Mental Health Care quality and equality."
-- Updated March 12, 2006 --
[ Local News (Seattle) ]
[ National News (USA) ]
[ Advance Directives ]
The mission of this page is to provide links to news and information about homelessness. People with mental illness and substance abuse problems comprise a large proportion of homeless populations throughout the United States.
Homelessness News and Reports.
By most reports, homelessness increased by 18% in the year 2002 in King County. Should we care? What significance does homelessness have to most of us? Beyond the philosophical arguments of whether people choose to be homeless or not, the costs of homelessness impact our taxes and state budgets. Homeless people tend to show up in emergency rooms for expensive treatment and they tend to be arrested and rearrested for minor infractions and end up costing taxpayers while being housed in expensive prisons.
We cannot guarantee that our list of links will always contain the very latest news about homelessness. If you want to do more research and find more articles, we recommend that you visit the Google News Search Engine page and type into the search box the words "homelessness" or "homeless funding" or similar search phrases. You will get a comprehensive list of the most current articles from a large number of publications.
Links to Resources About Homelessness.
- Seattle Weekly article posted March 8, 2006 -- The Plan to Nowhere? -- The region's ambitious 10-year timetable to end homelessness is in serious trouble, undercut and underfunded. The Bush administration is sending mixed signals, and things are about to get worse .
- Seattle Weekly article posted April 13, 2005 -- Got Any Spare Change?
An audacious 10-year plan to end homelessness in Seattle faces the usual problem: not enough money. In fact, federal cuts are on the way..
- Seattle Times article posted December 30, 2004 -- Street-to-jail-to-street cycle for alcoholics wastes lives, money.
- Seattle P-I article posted December 15, 2004 -- First Place is a godsend for homeless families.
- Seattle Times article posted December 14, 2004 -- Homeless people studied died at average age of 47.
- Seattle P-I article posted November 30, 2004 -- Seattle's 'supportive housing' for homeless gets boost -- National charitable drive, study validate city approach that's 'ahead of the curve'.
- Seattle Times article posted August 30, 2004 -- Income stagnant and poverty up in Washington state.
- Seattle Times article posted August 17, 2004 -- Gap between rich and poor widening in troubled economy.
- Seattle P-I article posted August 15, 2004 -- County is urged to find land for camps -- Regional cooperation needed on homeless, tent cities, panel says.
- Seattle Times article posted August 14, 2004 -- Report calls tent cities a King County necessity.
- Seattle Times article posted July 2, 2004 -- Providing an island of calm amid desperation and chaos.
- Seattle P-I article posted July 3, 2004 -- Rookie cops see a gritty side of streets they're patrolling -- Seattle officers spend time at shelters, outreach centers.
- Seattle Times article posted June 28, 2004 -- Tent city may move to another church site.
- Seattle P-I opinion posted May 27, 2004 -- Bothell wants to slap helping hands.
- Seattle P-I article posted May 24, 2004 -- City is awarded a federal grant of $7.8 million to help the homeless.
- Seattle P-I article posted March 3, 2004 -- Seattle a leader in helping the homeless, federal report says.
- Seattle P-I article posted November 20, 2003 -- New YWCA facility an opportunity to escape homelessness.
Real Change News -- A Good Source for Activist Concerns!
Check the Web site for Real Change News, a Seattle bi-weekly newspaper sold on the streets of Seattle by vendors who may be homeless or low-income. The Real Change mission is to "organize, educate, and build alliances to create solutions to homelessness and poverty." They exist to provide a voice to poor people in our community.
Thank You for Stopping By!
- Best wishes, Ron Sterling M.D. (Seattle, Washington, USA)
[ Age of Consent for Medical Treatment ]
[ Alcohol Awareness Month ]
[ Death Penalty ]
[ Cut Drug Costs ]
[ Fundraising News ]
[ HMO News ]
[ Drug Policy ]
[ Jail Diversion ]
[ Medicare/Medicaid ]
[ Mental Health Month ]
[ Mental Health Parity ]
[ Privacy News ]
[ Rallies ]
[ Stigma ]
[ Tort Reform ]
[ Universal Health Insurance ]
[ Activist Home ]
[ DearShrink.com ] [ Adult Attention Deficit Disorder ]
[ What's New ]
[ Hot News ]
[ Hot Dates ]
[ Hot Sites ]
[ Hot Issues ]
[ Hot Advocates ]
[ Government ]
[ Mental Health Task Force ]
[ Soapbox ]
[ Recovery ]
[ Volunteer ]
[ Site Index ]
[ Links ]
[ Donations ]
RON STERLING, M.D.
Copyright 2000-2007. Ron Sterling, M.D.
All Rights Reserved.