Book and Movie Reviews
-- Updated April 6, 2010 --
We are Looking for a Few Good Writers!
Dr. Sterling is looking for a few good writers who would like to post reviews on this page. They can be brief reviews or more lengthy articles. The goal of this page is to provide lists and reviews related to books and movies containing mental health care and chemical dependency content. We will also use this page to post reviews of any books or movies if the review has been written by a counseling professional.
with your comments, suggestions, and reviews you have written.
Links to Movie Reviews.
Check the following link for movie reviews frequently posted by a psychiatrist at Atkinson on Film -- written by Roland Atkinson, M.D., Professor of Psychiatry at Oregon Health and Science University, Portland Oregon.
Links to Movies Depicting Psychiatrists at Amazon.com.
For your convenience, I have posted three reviews written by Dr. Stone for a discontinued column called "Reel Life." (small Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) documents):
Below is a short list of movies that depict psychiatrists and other aspects of mental health treatment or "mistreatment." Many films, as you may know, have exploited fears and fantasies related to the potential seedier aspects of mental health treatment.
Want More Information on the Media and Mental Health?
- Agnes of God (1985) -- on VHS -- starring Anne Bancroft and Jane Fonda..
- Analyze That (2002) -- on VHS; on DVD widescreen; on DVD -- starring Robert De Niro and Billy Crystal.
- Analyze This (1999) -- on VHS; on DVD -- Robert De Niro and Billy Crystal.
- A Beautiful Mind (2002) -- on DVD; on DVD widescreen; on VHS -- Russell Crowe and Christopher Plummer.
- Antwone Fisher -- on DVD; on VHS; on DVD widescreen -- Denzel Washington and Derek Luke.
- Carefree (1938) -- on VHS -- Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers.
- Copycat (1995) -- on DVD; on VHS --Sigourney Weaver.
- Dancing in the Dark -- on DVD -- Kenneth Walsh and Geraint Wyn Davies.
- Don Juan de Marco (1995) -- on VHS; on DVD -- Marlon Brando.
- Equus (1977) -- on VHS -- Martin Dysart.
- Far from Heaven (2002) -- on DVD widescreen; on VHS -- James Rebhorn, Julianne Moore, Dennis Quaid.
- Final Analysis -- on DVD -- Richard Gere, Kim Basinger.
- The General's Daughter -- on DVD; on VHS -- John Travolta, James Woods.
- Girl, Interrupted (2000) -- on VHS; on DVD -- Winona Ryder, Angelina Jolie, Jeffrey Tambor and Vanessa Redgrave.
- Ordinary People (1980) -- on VHS -- starring Judd Hirsch, Mary Tyler Moore and Donald Sutherland.
- House of Cards (1993) -- on VHS; on DVD -- starring Kathleen Turner and Tommy Lee Jones.
- I'm Dancing As Fast As I Can (1982) -- on VHS -- starring Jill Clayburgh, Joseph Maher and Dianne Wiest .
- Instinct (1999) -- on DVD; on VHS -- Anthony Hopkins and Cuba Gooding.
- K-PAX (2001) -- on DVD; on VHS -- starring Kevin Spacey and Jeff Bridges.
- Lovesick (1983) -- on VHS; on DVD -- Dudley Moore and Elizabeth McGovern.
- Manhunter (1986) -- on VHS; on DVD widescreen -- William L. Petersen, Brian Cox.
- Mumford (1999) -- on VHS; on DVD -- starring Loren Dean, Hope Davis and David Paymer.
- The Prince of Tides (1991) -- on VHS -- Nick Nolte and Barbra Streisand.
- Red Dragon -- on VHS; on DVD widescreen; on DVD -- starring Anthony Hopkins, Ed Norton, Emily Watson and Ralph Fiennes.
- Silence of the Lambs -- on DVD; on VHS -- starring Anthony Hopkins and Jodie Foster.
- The Snake Pit (1948) -- on VHS -- starring Olivia de Havilland and Leo Genn.
- Spellbound (1945) -- on VHS; on DVD -- starring Ingrid Bergman and Gregory Peck.
- Three Faces of Eve (1957) -- on VHS; on DVD -- starring Joan Woodward and Lee J. Cobb.
- What About Bob? (1991) -- on VHS ; on DVD -- starring Richard Dreyfuss and Bill Murray.
- What Dreams May Come (1998) -- on DVD; on VHS -- Robin Williams, Cuba Gooding and Max von Sydow.
- Zelig (1983) -- on DVD; on VHS -- starring Woody Allen and Mia Farrow.
Please go to our Media Watch page to get links and information about how the media is doing when it comes to depictions related to mental health and illness. Check Stigma News page for more information on mental illness stigma.
Thank You for Stopping By!
-- Best wishes, Dr. Sterling
[ Home ] [ What's New ] [
Site Index ] [ Mission ] [ Our Services ] [ Dr. Sterling's Biography ]
[ Adult Attention Deficit Disorder ] [ Geriatric Psychiatry ] [ Online Therapy ] [ Advice ] [ Wellness ]
[ Shrink Watch ] [ Drug Watch ] [ Media Watch ] [ Law Watch ] [ Support ] [ Activism ]
[ Humor ] [ Health Care Links ] [ General Links ] [ Reviews ] [ Fine Photography ]
[ Purchase Articles ] [ Search ] [ Legal Notices ] [ Privacy ] [ Contact Us ]
Send E-Mail to Dr. Sterling
Copyright 2000-2010. Ron Sterling, M.D.
All Rights Reserved.
Conflicts of Interest Disclosure Statement